May 10, 2017 Update - Both Positions are filled.
Nourish Farms Inc. is seeking candidates for two paid, part-time summer internship positions. This is an excellent opportunity for people who are passionate about our food system and our community. Interns will engage daily in many different duties at the Educational Urban Farm. Internship hours will be set for the entire summer upon acceptance and will culminate in a review at season’s end. Two research projects will be discussed and assigned as well. Experience is not necessary, but a willingness to learn is a must.
Skills and Abilities
Should have a passion for sustainable food systems, nutrition education, and food security. Must have a good attitude, be punctual, able to follow instructions, unafraid to ask questions, able to communicate in a clear and courteous manner, be self-motivated, a team player, and willing to learn. Must be able to lift 50lbs, willing to work on hands and knees, able to work in all kinds of weather, and willing to use hand and powered tools.
The Educational Urban Farm is a 2-acre plot leased from RCS Empowers located at 1607 Geele Ave in Sheboygan. The farm consists of 11 (20’x40’) in ground beds, 4 raised beds, a small orchard, beehive, grape arbor, flowerbeds, pollinator beds, a pergola, and many perennials. The farm grows over 100 varieties of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and grains.
- Weekly monitoring of all produce beds, noting growth, disease or pest problems.
- Take part in seeding, repotting, transplanting, weeding, mulching and general soil care, composting, harvesting and post-harvest handling of produce.
- Experiment with various strategies in weed and pest control.
- Monitor watering daily.
- Assist with tour groups or individual volunteers coming to EUF.
- Delivering of produce to businesses.
- Recording amounts of produce harvested and delivered.
- Opportunities will exist for engagement in other Nourish programs.
The internship should be enjoyable and fun! Nourish wants the intern to learn, be engaged in our local and worldwide food system, and be well equipped to venture into other occupations dealing with good food.
Reports to Urban Farm Manager Jacob Lambrecht
Compensation: Paid, Part-time
Employment: 20 hours per week, flexible schedule.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Internship will be June – August.
Send cover letter and resume to Heather Cleveland 1332 South 13th St. Sheboygan, WI 53081 or email to email@example.com.